Skip to main content

Undergraduate Planning

  Planned Curriculum

       Undergraduate Planned curricula in the College of Education are prepared by the Academic Advisor.  Degree Works reports are available in real time and should be reviewed each semester by the advisor and the candidate.

       Candidates in teaching programs must make application for a planned curriculum upon notification of admission to the Professional Education program. Candidates in non-teaching programs must apply for a planned curriculum upon completion of the 60th hour for B.S. degrees and 15th hour for A.A. degrees. Changes in the planned curriculum initiated on the "Planned Curriculum Exception" form, must include a recommendation for change by the advisor, and be approved by the department chair and the Dean of the College. Changes approved verbally by phone or otherwise will not be honored unless the planned curriculum is officially altered to reflect such approval. It is the candidate's responsibility to register for the proper courses so that all requirements are satisfied at the time of expected graduation. Completion of all course work on the candidate's planned curriculum is required for graduation.

       Questions may be directed to Denise Insley at


       Undergraduate candidates enrolled in the College of Education must file an application for graduation with the Kelly Fox, Tracking Specialist (Bert Combs 423). Spring and Summer graduates must file an application during the preceding September. Fall graduates must file an application during the preceding March. To make application, link to the Instructions to College of Education Candidates for completing the on-line graduation application process.  The graduation application process is not complete until all components have been completed and a graduation exit review has been conducted with the Tracking Specialist.  Secondary Education majors make application with the college of their major.

       Prior to graduation, candidates must complete required competency examinations and take the PRAXIS Series (Professional Assessments for Beginning Teachers) and PLT (Principles of Learning and Teaching) exam. All required parts of the PRAXIS exams and PLT exam are to be taken during the senior year. NOTE: Some majors/minors require testing over two semesters. Candidates must review the schedule for PRAXIS tests registration deadlines prior to the beginning of the senior year (last two semesters). Specialty test(s) are required for each certification area sought.

Questions may be directed to Kelly Fox,

  Academic Programs

Undergraduate Majors

  • Communication Disorders
  • Elementary Education
  • Middle Grade Education 
  • Secondary Education
  • Special Education
  • Deaf and Hard of Hearing
  • Interdisciplinary Early Childhood  Education-Special Education
  • Interpreting for Deaf Individuals
  • Learning and Behavior Disorders
  • Moderate and Severe Disabilities

Undergraduate Minors

  • Special Education 
  • Secondary Education 

Undergraduate Endorsements & Certificates

  • Driver Education 
  • English as a Second Language 
  • Physical Education
  • Coaching
  • Elementary Physical Education
  • Driver Education

Graduate Majors

  • Rank I Certification:

       The College of Education, in cooperation with the offering departments within the College of Education, other colleges of the University, and the Graduate School, offers Rank I programs for teachers, guidance counselors, school administrators, supervisors, directors of pupil personnel, and directors of special education.

Graduate Endorsements & Certificates

  • Kentucky Certified Professional Counselor (CPC)
  • Director of Special Education 
  • School Principal  
  • Middle Grade School Principal 
  • Pupil Personnel Services
  • Rank I   (See Department pages for specific programs) 
  • Literacy Specialist 
  • School Psychology 
  • School Superintendent  
  • Standard Guidance 
  • Supervisor of Instruction 

Master of Arts in Teaching

  • Secondary
  • Middle
  • Elementary

Master of Arts in Education

  • School Counseling
  • Curriculum & Instruction
  • Special Education
  • Library Science
  • Reading

Master of Arts

  • Mental Health Counseling 
  • Student Personnel Services in Higher Education 

Specialist in Education Degree
        The Specialist in Education degree is a professional degree, designed for those preparing for positions which call for a level of study and specialization beyond the master's degree. The specific goal is to provide the additional preparation needed for certification and competence in a specialized school position, in the role of college teacher, and by those engaged in student personnel work.  The 30-hour minimum requirement is a structured and unified program oriented toward the student's professional objectives. For selected students, planning for the specialist degree may begin following completion of the baccalaureate degree. For some students, the Specialist in Education degree may lead to advanced study for the doctorate. 

  • Educational Administration
  • Student Personnel Services in Higher Education

Joint Doctoral Program in Education
        The College of Education provides course work for the major field of study in support of the Joint Doctoral Program cooperatively offered, through the Graduate School, with the University of Kentucky. The final degree is awarded by the University of Kentucky.

  • Instruction and Administration
  • Health, Physical Education and Recreation
  • Educational Policies, Studies and Evaluation
  • Special Education
  • Vocational Education
Open /*deleted href=#openmobile*/